Recruiting Notes, Week 2: NTDP 18’s Are Skilled, 5 new commitments, WHL Camps, Full List of 1999 Recruits
Published September 9, 2014
Gifs of the NTDP U18 Team (via @HFwoodhouse):
Auston Matthews, with what would have been an extraordinary power move to the net, if anyone touched him.
Just another day at the office for Boston College’s Colin White:
Boston College’s Jeremy Bracco turns Minnesota High School’s goaltender of the year, Hunter Shepard, inside out:
- Princeton added a 1998-born scorer in Ontario’s Colin Tonge, who threw down 28 goals in 35 games last season and will be in junior hockey with the OJHL’s Kingston Voyageurs.
- Michael Graham committed to Minnesota-Duluth last night. Graham had caught a lot of attention out East after making noise at Brown’s Showcase in Rhode Island, but the Eden Prairie (MN) star instead becomes yet another talented in-state prospect for the Bulldogs pipeline. Graham was our #69-ranked prospect last week.
- Andrew Peeke to Notre Dame. The big defenseman from Selects Academy was our #28-ranked prospect in our preseason listing.
- Graham Slaggert to Notre Dame as well, who in the process became the 100th prospect we had ranked (in his case, as a Bantam) to choose the NCAA or CHL route. You can see the full list (now 102 players) here.
- Miami have a terrific and very talented forward group coming up: Jack Roslovic, Karch Bachman, Willie Knierim, Alger brothers, Gordie Green and now a top 1999 in Cole Coskey continues that trend. He committed on Sunday.
- Another commitment we missed coverage on during the site renovation was a staff favorite of ours from Minnesota, St. Thomas Academy’s Christiano Versich, who chose Colorado College in August. Versich was our #85-ranked uncommitted prospect in May, the last list we had put out prior to his commitment.
- Our Midwestern scout Gunnar Olson caught Versich at the Chicago Steel’s camp and felt he was going round-for-round with SCSU star recruit Robby Jackson. Both can wear down teams with purposeful, tough, up-tempo offensive-minded plays and come up with both goals and sharp first assists. We highlighted Versich in the summer when he was a leading scorer at this summer’s Select 17 camp.
- The excellent “Small At Large” WHL site had coverage of WHL camp season, which had some interesting American names invited to camp.
- A few of those names? Mound defenseman Colin Baird (99) was at Seattle’s camp. The big defender has a nice ceiling. So does Moorhead’s Seth Benson, who alongside Shattuck-St. Mary’s forward Austin Pratt, reportedly made some noise up at Red Deer’s camp. Benson could be the dark horse of this Minnesota 1999 group, went undrafted but already stands at 6’3 and very tough to contain.
- Defenseman Bryce DeFazio, from the Colorado Rampage, is an intriguing name who can make plays at the point and will attract some eyes again this season. A nice add to camp by Tri-City.
- 1999-borns F Willie Reim (St. Thomas Academy) and D John St. Ivany (LA Jr. Kings), each nice young American prospects, were up at Vancouver Giants camp alongside 1997s F David Brumm (Omaha U16) and D Brennan Menell (CYA U16), who both signed to the league.
- Medicine Hat, in addition to listing Peter Tabor, have the rights to Jack Harris, Ben Copeland, Sammy Walker and 98s Max Gerlach, Brian Hawkinson and Casey Staum. Without anyone looking, the Tigers have one of the more fierce American/Minnesotan prospect pools in the league. All are uncommitted.
On the Trail:
- Our National Prep Rosters and Schedules page has been updated with links to Shattuck-St. Mary’s Bantam roster as well as Prep, U16 and Bantam schedules out of Faribault.
- For scouts looking to get organized ahead of tournament season, we have schedules for some major tournaments this month up on OTB Elite.
- BCHL Vernon Vipers HC/GM Jason Williamson stepped down as the new season approaches. He had a nice group coming in, including the return of former BU recruit Liam Coughlin, an Edmonton Oilers draft selection.
- Clint Lewis left Cornell this summer and will be headed back to Jr. Hockey to figure out his new landing spot.
1999: Who Has Committed?
Just to keep tabs on who is already committed out of this 1999 birthyear. For the 2000s, we’re told Selects Academy’s Matthias Emilio Pettersen isn’t actually ‘committed’ to Denver right now, and the only one we can confirm right now is Oliver Wahlstrom (Maine) at Shattuck-St. Mary’s.
- F Ryan Poehling – St. Cloud State
- D Mikey Anderson – Minnesota-Duluth
- F Cole Coskey – Miami
- F Sean Dhooghe – Ohio State
- F Scott Reedy – Minnesota
- F Brannon McManus – Minnesota
- G Keith Petruzzelli – Quinnipiac
- F Logan Hutsko – Penn State
- G Cayden Primeau – Northeastern
- D Dan Petrick – Northeastern
- F Riley Prattson – Providence
- F Matt Allen – Providence
- F Graham Slaggert – Notre Dame
- F Michael Pastujov – Michigan
- D Matt Anderson – Minnesota-Duluth
Links of the Week